Direct From Johannesburg, South Africa!
Tickets: $45, $40, $25
Kids up to 12 and Seniors $10 all seats
Two dynamic dance companies the Gumboots and Pantsula Dance share the stage for a pulsating, rhythm-filled evening of urban street dance. Featuring 20 dancers with live musicians, these companies use dance to respond to cultural and political issues in their communities by conveying real-life stories of hard work, human struggles, and longing for a better life. These communicative dances have become important part of restoring, revitalizing and preserving South African Culture.
Stimela the Musical is loosely linked by an old man’s reminiscences of his days in the mines, to which many men were drawn from the townships, the dance routines and the songs tell of the miners back breaking work, their longing for home and the way in which their songs and dances eased the pain.
From the author and director of internationally acclaimed theater production, Spirit and Bones, Thapelo Motloung produces yet another masterpiece that must be seen at the Lehman Center.
Gumboots Dance Company Video
• Program, policies, artists, dates, times, and prices are subject to change without notice.
• Lehman Center does not have an elevator.
• Additional fees may apply. There are NO REFUNDS on tickets unless the event is cancelled. Refunds are always made to the original purchaser.
• Audio and video recording of Lehman Center events is prohibited except with expressed written consent from performers and all rights holders.
• Lehman Center is 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation.